The Montreal SPCA Youth Ambassador Junior Program (YAP Jr.) is a six-week 12-hour empathy-building animal advocacy program for youth aged 10-12. It offers youth the opportunity to participate in a series of workshops and become actively involved with the Montreal SPCA through hands-on experience with animals.
During each session, the youth tackle core issues concerned with animal welfare while working directly with the shelter animals. Participants also learn basic shelter procedures, policies and safety precautions, and are introduced to subjects such as responsible companion animal guardianship, the importance of spaying and neutering and animal behaviour.
The aim of this program is:
- to encourage responsible pet guardianship
- to facilitate empathy and compassion
- to build self-esteem, develop social responsibility, and encourage advocacy
Activities include cat feeding, dog and cat socialization, caring for exotic animals, positive reinforcement training and animal enrichment. Through these practical skills, YAP Jr. seeks to empower youth, strengthen leadership and foster civic engagement.
The Montreal SPCA Youth Ambassador Junior Program also counts for 12 hours of community-service learning hours for schools.
Location: Montreal SPCA Annexe, 7314, rue Mountain Sights (just south of the Montreal SPCA – Métro Namur)
Fee: $95 per session
Available sessions for 2016-2017:
- FULL Session 1 – Monday, September 5 – October 10, 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- FULL Session 2 – Monday, October 17 – November 21, 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- FULL Session 3 – Monday, November 28 – January 16, 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. (no workshop December 26 or January 2)
- FULL Session 4 – Monday, January 23 – February 27, 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- FULL Session 5 – Monday, March 6 – April 10, 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- FULL Session 6 – Monday, April 17 – May 22, 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
For further questions, please contact the Montreal SPCA Youth Ambassador Program at email@example.com, 514 735-2711, extension 2364.