Pay-what-you-can adoptions at the Montreal SPCA this Monday, May 22, 2023!
The Montreal SPCA is doing everything it can to place a large number of dogs, rabbits, and small animals in loving homes. Many adorable animals are awaiting adoption at the Montreal SPCA as the high season nears. Several dogs of all ages and sizes, dozens of rabbits and small animals, two beautiful birds and a few cats are waiting for you Monday, May 22, 2023, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
To get them adopted more easily, the Montreal SPCA is waiving adoption fees this Monday. However, a voluntary contribution would be greatly appreciated to help us further our mission. No donation is too small!
The goal of this pay-what-you-can adoption day is to find each of our protégés their forever loving home. Our adoption counsellors will be happy to guide you and answer all your questions.
Prospective families will also receive information on the commitment and responsibilities they are taking on by adopting an animal. Food and many basic accessories will be available for sale at the Montreal SPCA Boutique.
Before coming to the Montreal SPCA, please read the special instructions below. Please also note that we cannot reserve an animal at the shelter. A valid ID (health insurance card or driver’s license, for example) is required to complete the adoption process.
- When: Monday, May 22, from 10:00 a.m. to 6p.m. (the SPCA reserves the right to end the event before 7:00 p.m., depending on the number of animals still available).
- Location: Montreal SPCA, 5215 Jean-Talon St. West, Montréal, QC H4P 1X4. Close to the Namur metro station.
- Dogs have all undergone behavioural assessments to be properly matched with families, and many will require follow-up dog behaviour counselling.
- Please note that a second visit to the shelter may be required to complete the adoption. All household members—including children, roommates and other dogs—must attend this second meeting. This step ensures the new companion gets along well with all humans and canine friends, and it avoids unpleasant surprises back home.
- A deposit ($50–150) may be required to adopt a dog. This amount is refundable upon presentation of proof of an obedience course taken with a Montreal SPCA trainer or another RQIEC-, CTC-, CPDT-KA-, IAABC- or CSAT-certified trainer.
Important: Since you will be waiting to meet the animals outside, please dress appropriately for the weather forecast.
Animals awaiting homes and special instructions
A dozen dogs, about thirty rabbits and small animals such as mice, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats and birds are waiting for a new home. Only a few cats will exceptionally be up for adoption on site, as an exception. For all animals except dogs, please bring a carrier or plan to purchase one at the SPCA’s boutique.
To make mouse adoption easier, we will provide all the necessary supplies to get future families started.
About the dogs available for adoption:
All animals have undergone a veterinary check-up. Dogs and cats are spayed or neutered and microchipped and given their first basic vaccination. Dogs also receive rabies shots. Rabbits are sterilized.
The Montreal SPCA is looking forward to your visit. Thank you for choosing adoption!